Tuesday, November 15, 2005

INSPIRATION

I decided to read some other blogs out there regarding art.
Check out these students' concepts of art and furniture. I like that they have blended functionality with popular culture. Very cool art. Thanks to Regine.
.
.
ENLIGHTENMENT
.
There are resources on blogs and websites for those who are wise enough to seek the triple W.
Thanks to Rachel J. : Asian art is very cool thank you for inspiration.
Check this site on the Buddha...
and check the cool teacher resources.
.
.
DREAMS
.
Barthes and Camera Lucida: Death is in Every Photograph.
I read Camera Lucida for a class studying Semiotics. A subject which continues to fascinate me and challenge my sense of reality.
Semiotics - known in some circles as semiology - is the study of signs, both individually and grouped in sign systems, and includes the study of how meaning is made and understood.
Photography seems a popular item for discussion on our blogs and the blogs of others. Thank you to dalcorn. Take dalcorn's suggestion to check out Radiant Vista.
This medium has great ability to persuade the senses that the unreal is real.
How mischievious.
How honest.
We all see life through a filter.
Why do some cultures shy away from the power of the lens?
Professor Jolanta: I remember my very early childhood experience with photographs. When I asked my mother how come that I had never had grandparents, she replied that, of course I had them; everybody did, it was just that mine were dead. She walked to the library shelf and took down a big, leather-bound photo-album with silver clasps, browsed through it, and pulled out three rectangular cardboard or plastic-like, cards. In one were two brown patches that coincided with the shapes I was so fond of drawing at that time and calling them "Mom and Dad." She said that the patches were her mom and dad. "Did you draw them?" "No; they are zdjecia" (the Polish word for "pictures," literally meaning "taking-offs" or "removals"). Two shapes--people--in one photograph were looking in my direction. In the other two "removals," the same people were looking at me more obviously; I had adjusted to recognize the patches as faces. Yet my mind could not hold that adjustment for long. It still perceived the content of the cards as brownish shapes; they could not be Mom's mom and dad for how could they fit into the rectangle that I was holding in my hand? And how could they be there in front of me if they were dead?
There is something disturbing about mirrors and their power. This theme is represented in much of children's literature from Alice in Wonderland to Snow White to Aesop's Fables.
The photograph is much like a mirror but captures an image in time. Portraiture: seeing one's reflection.
I sometimes find I do not believe what I see in a photograph of myself.
Who was I then? I ask myself flipping back through a photographic record of my life.
I am detached. I am third person.
I am alienated?
I do not even remember what I was thinking when smiling in a yellow chicky suit at three years old on Halloween.
This is where I find an answer to the question above in regards to a cultural refusal to be photographed.
I think this refusal is as much a western creation as any other culture's.
"Video killed the Radio Star"
BUT... and this is a large but...
I love to scrap book. I love to cryogenically freeze my loved ones and memories into decorated albums... (I suppose Barthes would see this hobby as akin to picking out a coffin).
How delightfully creepy.
If art is death then perhaps I am a happy undertaker.

4 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Julia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Chirtie said...

Fun! I love your view of scrapbooking ... hehe.

Camera Lucida looks liek a neat read. Have you ever read The Artist's Way? It is a neat book that talks about spirituality and creativity together.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Leah J. said...

I haven't read the Artist's Way but I'd like to check it out. I found a website for the book by Julia Cameron online. Have you checked it out?
http://www.artistswayatwork.com/

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Chirtie said...

I will now! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home