Thursday, January 12, 2006


I found a great website for some lesson plan/question ideas regarding children's literature. I was looking for some information on The Giver that we are reading in class and stumbled across this website hosted by Carol Hurst. There is a link to a lesson that integrates the math concept of probability through a problem solving game for The Giver. There are a number of other books used for novel studies and read alouds that are reviewed and supported with some resources on this site. If you are interested check it out!

I am looking for some short poems or stories about Monsters. Specifically the portrayal of friendly and unfriendly monsters and to examine what a monster really is. If you have any ideas please leave me a comment. I'm doing a novel study entitled Monster Madness about a sandwich that takes over a town. Anyone with some empty cereal boxes (again) please also let me know in class!

3 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Leah,
I don't know if this will help you much but I love the monsters in Where the Wild Things Are. This book will allow you to examine different kinds of monsters, including kids (haha) anyways, hope it helps a bit.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

Hi Leah, what a great website. I like the author's candor, when she says "To find out that Lois designed it herself and took that wonderful photograph makes it harder to like her. Too much talent, I think, is bad for the soul.".

OK, some days I think that is true... because when you meet someone who is so multitalented, they make you feel inadequate. But can we really put that description to a wonderful author like Lois Lowry? Because if she didn't have that great talent, she wouldn't have written such a wonderful book.

Thanks for providing the link, its great.
Cathy

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Leah J. said...

Thanks for the suggestion Rachel I will definately consider it for practicum!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home